Monday, August 6, 2007

It's August and Bouquets of Pencils are popping up everywhere.

I love this quote from the movie You've Got Mail:

"Don't you love New York in the fall? It makes me wanna buy school supplies. I would send you a bouquet of newly sharpened pencils if I knew your name and address"


I don't necessarily know what it is like in New York in the fall, but I do know I just love the idea of a bouquet of freshly sharpened pencils and the smell of a brand new pack of paper thrown in as well. Back to School time has always been one of my favorite times of the year. It signifies new supplies, new subjects, new clothes, and the start of a fresh new chapter in life. Mmmmm I can smell that graphite and paper now. Pack up that new book bag... it is time to hit the books.

Today we started our 07-08 school year and it is a perfect time to reflect why we are on this journey. I say we because homeschool for us is an entire family affair. Many years ago, long before we had children, my dear husband and I decided that we would homeschool our children. It became apparent to us, by God's divine appointment, that this was the road we must take in order to fulfill our own duties as parents. We knew family members who homeschooled, and of course were influenced a bit there, but we followed even a different path than they did.

So here we are on an adventure storybook ride that only God can write so well. We have prayed through curriculum choices, activities, and most of all goals.

1. Our number 1 goal is to raise our children to: "'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.' This is the first and greatest commandment. 39And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'" Matthew 22:7

2. To give our children an environment where they can foster a personal relationship with our one and only Saviour, Jesus Christ.

3. We want the education in our home focused on and honoring to God. We do this by placing His word as truth in all aspects of life.

4. We want our children to love to learn and know how to learn. It is one thing to have memorized a bunch of information but knowing how to obtain that information and apply it makes one truly educated.

5. We want our children to experience what they learn and to understand the when, where, and how of the things they learn.

These are just the highlights of our goals, and our homeschool will be successful if we keep our eye on God and follow the path he lights up for us... One step at a time. "Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light for my path." Psalm 119:105

No comments: